The Senior Field Application Engineer (SFAE) will apply product knowledge of LMI sensors and networking products to support sales activities at a technical level. The SFAE works closely with customers to resolve technical issues as well as interact with sales team members to support successful sales outcomes. Activities include train and lead the FAE team timely to response to application testing, code snippet development, troubleshooting, travelling with sales reps to assess the technical requirements of customers, recommending appropriate product solutions, and general support of the sales process to grow business for the region.
Section II - Typical Duties, Activities, Responsibilities
As a Senior Field Application Engineer it will be your responsibility to work closely with our customers to resolve any technical issues they may encounter as well as interact with other members of the sales team to support sales activities. Through such activities as application testing through to troubleshooting complex support issues you will be in contact with a diverse customer base to ensure they receive answers in a timely manner. Beyond providing technical support you will also be required to perform a wide variety of tasks to help achieve the growth initiatives of the sales team. These tasks include:
● Provide customer support for three LMI products lines. Technical support will primarily be provided remotely but at times on site assistance will be required
● Assist RDM to manage the technical support team (FAEs)
● Log all customer support interactions in LMI’s customer support ticketing software, ensure these records are updated regularly, and issues are resolved in the quickest time possible
● Perform testing and evaluation of our sensors on an ongoing basis to ensure they meet our specifications
● Perform in house testing of samples sent in by customers (to determine if our sensors meet the application requirements) and report results.
● Maintain test and demo equipment to ensure that it is operational at all times
● Produce technical sales materials in cooperation with the sales and marketing departments
● Produce training materials in cooperation with the sales and marketing departments
● Mentors application team members.
● Provide training or product demonstrations to existing and potential customers on LMI’s premises or at the customer’s premises as required
● Create software that is used for test, demonstration and evaluation purposes to promote the use and sale of LMI products. All software is created within the R&D software design guidelines and in cooperation with the R&D department
● Create any new hardware that the sales team may need for demonstrating products or supporting our customers.
● Work together with the RDMs, BDMs and Product Managers to test and evaluate competitive sensors
● Work closely with product management to aid in the creation of new sensor products or test and provide feedback on newly designed models
● To be familiar with all of LMI’s processes for sales and marketing and work within and support these processes
● To learn and become proficient in the operation, characteristics and performance of all LMI sensor products
● Support the sales team in preparing for trade shows and attend these shows when necessary
● Continually provide feedback as to how LMI’s products or services can be improved to enhance our customers experience
● Design and develop software packages that improve the productivity of the application engineering team, improve our interactions with our customers and improve the level of service our customers will receive from LMI
Section III – Education and Qualifications
● Bachelor of Computer Science, Electrical, Mechanical or Computer Engineering degree or equivalent
● Minimum 5-8 years of experience in the high technology industry / factory automation industry working on various projects relating to their area of study
● Strong working knowledge of industry standards and best practices in their discipline
● Strong management skills with technical support team
● Excellent knowledge of tools required by their discipline (Software – Visual Studio [C, C#, VB.NET], Labview, PLC programming, Mechanical – SolidWorks, Electronics – Wiring and setup, basic soldering skills) with demonstrated ability in past project accomplishments
● Pursues problem solving with clear understanding of facts and defines test plan and solution strategies
● Solid interpersonal skills are required to function appropriately in a team environment
● Minimum of 3-5 years customer service experience or equivalent work experience.
● Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with proficiency using Microsoft Office products
● Exceptional organizational, communication and prioritization skills
● Self-motivated, have a positive attitude and a results oriented approach to business
● Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
● A valid passport and the ability to travel domestically or internationally.